Thursday, March 09, 2006

The World Baseball Classic and Pitch Counts

I am already on record saying that the World Baseball Classic is stupid. Here is an example of one of my primary concerns with the WBC: pitch counts.

Players have routines--ramping up their pitch counts and slowly working in all their pitches as they rebuild their arm strength in spring training. Santana threw more pitches in 3 1/3 innings pitched in his second spring start than normal. So many more pitches that Twins manager Ron Gardenhire is enraged, saying, "Don't get me started. Don't even go there."

If this continues for Santana, I predict arm trouble by the end of the season. He may start hotter--since it takes him a while to hit his stride, but I suspect by the end of the season his arm could wear down--when he is customarily at his best.

Again, the WBC is not only stupid, but an unnecessary injury risk--particularly for pitchers.

No comments: