Thursday, April 12, 2007

Another "Non-Apology"

Durham prosecutor, Mike Nifong "apologized" to the three Duke lacrosse players today--or at least that is what the media will tell us.

His words bely his true intent:

"To the extent that I made
judgments that ultimately proved to be incorrect, I apologize to the
three students that were wrongly accused.
I also understand that whenever
someone has been wrongly accused, the harm caused by the accusations
might not be immediately undone merely by dismissing them. I
t is my sincere desire that the
actions of Attorney General Cooper will serve to remedy any remaining
injury that has resulted from these cases."

Nifong of course used the case to propel his re-election as a district attorney. He is now under review by the North Carolina board for his mis-handling of the case.

Mr. Nifong, your so-called apology will do nothing for you, I'm afraid. Your goose is cooked, and it was you that lit the match.

Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

A. B. Caneday said...

Once again the passive voice rescues a man from issuing a true apology for wrongdoing.

Mike Nifong said, "To the extent that I made judgments that ultimately proved to be incorrect, I apologize to the three students that were wrongly accused."