Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Christless Christianity vs. Humanism

What happens when a well known atheist Christopher Hitchens was recently interviewed by a liberal Unitarian minister who isn't even sure of the existence of God? Hilarity and irony.

Here is one of the more interesting passages from the interview:

Q: (Agnostic pastor) The religion you cite in your book is generally the fundamentalist faith of various kinds. I’m a liberal Christian, and I don’t take the stories from the scripture literally. I don’t believe in the doctrine of atonement (that Jesus died for our sins, for example). Do you make and distinction between fundamentalist faith and liberal religion?

A: (Atheist Hitchens) I would say that if you don’t believe that Jesus of Nazareth was the Christ and Messiah, and that he rose again from the dead and by his sacrifice our sins are forgiven, you’re really not in any meaningful sense a Christian.

The second page of the interview is the best, as Hitchens goes after the agnostic newager about why she bothers with Christianity at all, since it is of little to no practical value compared to humanism.

-------------------------------------------
Buy and store gold abroad at BullionVault.

Get free shipping on your gold and silver purchase at Lear Capital.

Buy and Store Gold at Goldmoney.

1 comment:

AndrewRustad said...

I listened to the entire interview, and it contains a lot more awkwardness than the text lets on. I can honestly say I've never cheered on an atheist in a theological discussion before, but I respect Hitchen's view of Christianity and his insistence on clear definitions. Postmodern "Christianity" makes me want to vomit.