Thursday, March 04, 2010

Rabbits

A little more than a month ago I linked to a review of Matthew Scully's book, Dominion. I began reading the book this week and have mixed feelings about it. I find myself resonating with much of what he has to say, but his lack of spiritual wisdom is also troublesome. Scully uses Bible texts in his arguments, also quoting Augustine. Yet he acknowledges he is not a "a particularly pious or devout person." So his arguments are much more emotional than spiritual. That being said, I am sympathetic with some of what he says. Here is one of the better quotes I've read:

"...when you look at a rabbit and can see only a pest, or vermin, or a meal, or a commodity, or a labratory subject, you aren't seeing the rabbit anymore. You are seeing only yourself and the schemes and appetites we bring to the world--seeing, come to think of it, like an animal instead of as a moral being with moral vision."

Matthew Scully, Dominion page 3

-------------------------------------------
Buy and store gold abroad at BullionVault.

Get free shipping on your gold and silver purchase at Lear Capital.

Buy and Store Gold at Goldmoney.

No comments: